What are news categories?
These are how you will categorise your news items. News articles will be broken down into these categories in the news section making them easy to find for users. They are also used to help users see which type of post has been published in the news, everytime you post a news item it will show up on the dashboard with an icon next to it which signifies which category it is from. Examples include a press release category where all of your press releases go, a team category wehere all of your news about staff members will go etc.
How do I create news categories?
- Click on 'News' in the left side bar
- Click 'News Categories' in the sub-category
- Here you can create a new news category and manage any existing news categories. To create a new category, enter the name of the news category, this is how it will appear on your site
- Slug - The “slug” is the URL-friendly version of the name. It is usually all lowercase and contains only letters, numbers, and hyphens
- Write a description of your news category for other admins to see this will not be displayed publicly. E.g. Team - Category should be used for employee updates, achievements, new arrivals or departures
- Icon - add a 100px x 100px image that will be used as an icon to represent the category. This will show up on the dash when you post a news item, they can be seen on the left of the image above. These should be a darker icon so they show up clearly on the light background of the dash
- When you are finished select 'Add New News Category'
- Your new news category should appear in the right hand table
How can I add a news post?
A news post can be used whenever you want to add a new piece of news to send out across your business.
- Click on ‘News’ in the left side bar
- Click ‘Add New’ in the sub-category
- Enter title of the news post in the top bar
- Enter your news post into the large box
- You can format your text and add links to your text with the tools in the bar at the top of the text box
- Add media using the ‘Add Media’ button above the box. Find out how to add podcasts to your news post.
- Customise News Preview - 150 characters to summarise your post when it is shown in lists. If you do not fill this in it will use the first 150 characters from your news post.
- News Taxonomy - Select the drop down menu, this is the category which your news post will come under from the categories you created previously
- Permissions - Decide who can see your posts by location types, these will list the location types you created previously. E.g. warehouse, office, home, store. Tick the box of those you want the post to be visible to. By default new posts can be seen by everyone
- Author - Select the menu and choose which author you want to show up on the news post.
- Expiry - You can archive your post at certain time. You might want to do this if your post is time sensitive e.g. Christmas temp staff wanted and asking staff members to ask any friends or family, you may want to archive this post at the beginning of December to prevent any employees still sending candidate information when you have already filled all of the positions. - click the bar to say yes then choose a date from the calendar for when you want it archived
- News summary/In the Loop - If you would like it automatically featured in the news summary click the toggle to say yes (See the more about News Summary/In the Loop)
- Click news summary in the left side bar to view all of your news posts
- Click the publish button on the right side once you’re ready to share!
- You can save a draft if you would like to come back to it, click the button on the right side of the screen
- You can choose a date that you want to publish the post, in the right box that says ‘publish’ select ‘edit’ where it says ‘publish immediately’ choose your date. This is good for new posts that you may want to write early but schedule to be published nearer the time such as, the office Christmas party, or schedule posts during times you are going to be away